Life with rheumatoid arthritis is very expensive. We often have to go through so much trial and error to find items that help us with pain relief and prevention.
Please know though that sometimes the best gift you can give someone is time spent with them – take them out for lunch or dinner, go for High tea, get a massage or pedicure side by side or simply just go for coffee together, doesn’t have to be expensive. Sometimes just getting us out of the house and listening is the best gift you can give us.
But if you want to splurge on something more materialistic for like Christmas, holidays, birthdays, anniversaries, thank you or just cause here’s some good ideas of gift ideas for that loved one living with rheumatoid arthritis or other chronic pain conditions can really benefit from.
The Gift of Relief
- Ice Packs
- Heating Pads
- Personal Massagers
- Voltaren or various other topical pain relief creams. Please take note that many joint relief creams are poisonous for pets.
The Gift of Comfort
- Weighted Blanket
- Bamboo Pillows
- Body Pillow or a Half Pillow
- Cannabis or CBD Products
- Spa Visit – Hint, I was an esthetician for ten years before arthritis – a massage, facial, pedicure and manicure will have them feeling relaxed and happy, all 4 services or even just one. Try to find a spa with a steam or sauna they can go into before their treatment.
- Paraffin Dip
- Pajamas, seriously we can never have enough pjs – softer the better. living with arthritis certain coarse or heavy fabrics can be irritating.
- For the ladies – A giftcard to a specialty bra shop. Putting on bras with RA can be a challenge, some specialty bra shops have bras designed for people with disabilities.
- Soft blankets – Heated blankets are often over used and the heat can increase inflammation so I don’t recommend them
- TENS Machine
- Float Tank Gift Certificate or Steam/Sauna Spa Gift Card
- Bath Salts and Products
- Essential Oils
The Gift of Better Health
- Vitamin D Light Therapy
- Fitbit or Health Tracking Device
- Vitamins and Supplements – but what they already use, don’t prescribe them a new one.
- Braces and Supports – Unsure which? A gift card is perfect.
- Kinesiology Tape
- Compression Socks, Gloves or Knee Cover
- Copper Bracelet
- Finger Rings for Arthritis. Splint or Adjustable Rings
- Massage Therapy by an RMT
- Meal Service Plan and Delivery
- Consultation with a Registered Dietician. Here is one who also lives with RA.
- Occupational Therapy – Here is a beginners guide created by an OT with RA. Beneficial for anyone at any stage with RA.
The Gift of Movement
- Gift card for shoes from somewhere that provides orthopedics
- Nordic Walking Poles
- Yoga Mat and Equipment
- Resistance Bands
- Dumb Bells or Kettle Bell
- Stability Ball
- Arm Bike/Under desk bike
Gifts to Make Life with Arthritis a Little Easier
- Pill Containers – Bigger the better
- Shower Dispenser
- Key Grip Aid
- Standing Desk
- Jar Opener
- Food Chopper
- Arthritis Friendly Scissors
- Knife Handle
- Kindle or E-Reader… If they have one already how about a e-book stand? Holding a book is so painful for us
- Cleaning Service
Gifts That Keep Us Safe
- Masks and other Personal Protective Gear
- Handsanitizer – We can never have enough pocket or purse size hand sanitizers
- Disinfectant Wipes
- Delivery Services or Gift Cards to online services such as grocery delivery or amazon.
Disease Specific Gifts
- Donate to an arthritis charity in their honor. If you would like to make a donation in my honor I suggest Arthritis Research Canada.
- Gift Boxes: Inflammation vacation is designed for people with inflammatory arthritis.
- Rheumatoid Arthritis Merch
Sometimes the Best Gift You Can Offer is Help
Maybe you want to buy them some groceries? The following foods are amazing for rheumatoid arthritis if you loved one is flaring and can’t make it to the store. One of the best things you can do to support them is pick up some food for them, even better if you can prepare some freezer meals so they can avoid cooking too.